Moving is a stressful time in your life, I know that because I have lived at over 30 different addresses in my life. This meant a move at least every year. I’ve had quite a lot of experience with different ways of moving house, including backs of cars, cattle trucks, large trucks, small vans, even a taxi or two at times.
But one thing I’ve learned: moving companies aren’t all created equal, that’s for sure. So how do you check which ones won’t overcharge, break your things, or just steal the whole lot?
Well, there’s not really much you can do after your precious items are in the back of the moving truck. So it’s really wise to check around, first.
- 1. Find the moving companies that are able to deal with both your destination, and volume of stuff requiring shipping.
- 2. Check out the ones that have services and prices in your range, then go to see the trucks and the offices.
- 3. Ask around your friends/family, and see which companies provided good experiences or otherwise.
- 4. Look for insurance, warranties, service guarantees, quality of service awards, good word of mouth.
- 5. Check the contract you sign to make sure that the contract can be exited without expensive penalties, and that the company won’t hold you responsible if they screw things up.
- 6. Look for additional services: packing services, additional insurance services, storage, and even moving supplies, international shipping, car moving, etc.
You will likely find that a good company can take care of your problems, and ease what is otherwise a very stressful time. But skimping on the packing company and trying to pay bottom dollar will only add to stress levels. Why make it hard on yourself?